When you join SAIT, you are demonstrating to clients, government and the public at large that you are serious about your commitment to the tax field. You are not merely an accountant, a lawyer, a payroll administrator or other technician but a professional knowledgeable about tax that deserves community recognition.
When you join SAIT, become part of a community. Each professional needs supporting group services because certain activities are undertaken more effectively and efficiently than if undertaken alone. SAIT seeks to provide you with these complimentary group services that you cannot find elsewhere.
At a more philosophical level, SAIT believes that South Africa should have a tax system with professional integrity. Everyone must pay their fair share and the goal of the tax profession is to ensure that taxpayers do so in a legal fashion. That said, fairness means precisely that. Random and disruptive collection undermines integrity and respect for the law. SAIT is happy to champion this cause on behalf of its members.
Detailed Outline of Benefits
SAIT is the only professional member body within South Africa dedicated exclusively to the tax field. As such,
- Tax Practitioner Registration: Our membership provides you with the means to obtain a “practitioner number” from SARS so that you can legally provide the full range of client tax services required when dealing with SARS. Unlike other organisations, SAIT also has the personnel to connect you to the right locations within SARS for a speedy connection.
- Tax Designation: Our membership is recognised by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) so that your tax expertise can be fully recognised by your peers, clients and the public at large. This membership can be added to your title and includes access to SAIT logo for your professional use.
- SAIT membership also provides you with:
- Commissioner of Oaths: The authority to be a Commissioner of Oaths, and
- Discounted access to Financial Accounting Officer status: Access to a 50 per cent discount in respect of membership to SAIBA so that you can become a financial accounting officer. We also can assist you in the process to reduce duplication of paperwork.
2. Service Support
At SAIT, we are here to assist you with your tax practice. In particular,
- Tax Helpline: SAIT membership entitles you to a helpline for your technical queries. These queries are broken down into three categories: SARS operations, e-filing and a legal tax sounding board. We are committed to respond within 48 hours of your request and generally respond in shorter time periods.
- Continuing professional development: SAIT provides more options regarding your continuous professional development in the tax field than any other South African professional body. When you join SAIT, you obtain discounted access to our regular offering of seminars, webinars and large sale events (including the annual Tax Indaba), including discounted subscription offerings. Our programme additionally includes free offerings in terms of webinars and take home materials (e.g. technical articles).
- Newsletter and Tax Talk Magazine: SAIT keeps you regularly informed of the latest tax news from Treasury, SARS and other sources via the SAIT weekly newsletter, which offers a more comprehensive update in terms of South African tax than any other product. SAIT membership also includes the popular bi-monthly Tax Talk magazine, which gives you an array of technical articles and trending items in the tax field.
- Government stakeholder management: SAIT is heavily engaged in stakeholder management in furtherance of a sound tax system. SAIT regularly makes submissions to (and meets with) National Treasury, SARS and other government stakeholders in terms of tax legislation, interpretation and SARS operations. As a SAIT member, we encourage you to join our technical and operational work groups where the tax issues at stake are uniquely relevant to your practice.
3. Secondary benefits
SAIT membership also comes with a number of secondary benefits. These benefits include:
- Book discounts: Membership with SAIT provides you with discounts in respect of certain tax books that you may need in your everyday practice.
- Professional body discounts: Membership with SAIT provides you with a 50 per cent discount in respect of annual membership to certain other professional bodies.
- Reciprocal benefits with other global tax institutes: SAIT is recognised internationally by various tax institutes across the globe. SAIT members travelling abroad can accordingly gain member access to certain services and benefits provided by these tax institutes.